Sunday, March 23, 2014

"It Is No Fun Wearing Jimmy Choos If You Have Grubby Feet" ~ Amrita Bardhan

I have been away from the internet world for ten whole days, roaming the little gallis and streets of Mumbai with regards to my work. It has been an eye-opening, insightful and interesting ten days. Unfortunately I am not a travel blogger. I somehow cannot pen my thoughts about the places visited and countries travelled. So after a ten day hiatus from blogging and social media, I come back with an exciting new section on my Blog.

This whole new section introduces people in our daily life, who adapt and carry their own style tips, are fashion conscious, know what suits them and most importantly, take style off the ramps and make them wearable. Now isn't that, what most of us look for - fashion which we can wear in our day-to-day life.

Keeping this in view, I introduce my all new section "Her Style" and being the first person to grace this section is Amrita Bardhan. Each day, Amrita puts together a look which is unique and attractive. Read on to learn more about Amrita and her style, with some very interesting quotes by her.

"I always accessorize & a flash of bright hue adds the zing."


I met Amrita around nine years back at her office in Baroda, Gujarat. It was peak summers and the minute I met her, the first thought to cross my mind was, "how does one manage to stay so prim and proper even in these hot and sultry days". That was my first and always lasting impression of her, here is someone who loves to dress up, knows what to put together in her wardrobe and keeps it that way at any given point of time. Nine years down the road, her zest for life and fashion remains intact. Meet Amrita Bardhan, partner at Purple Crayon, an advertising firm in Baroda.



"Being comfortable in what you wear is the secret to a well-dressed person"
Amrita with her better half
 
Amrita says, "Everybody I know is well dressed, but only a few can really grab your attention. I love clothes and I love shopping! I am always looking for a bargain to something affordable and beautiful. Being in the advertising field allows me to not get compartmentalised into specific dressing styles."

Amrita has an interesting and eclectic collection of accessories.
 
 
 



A magenta and blue onyx neckpiece



A small glimpse into a part of her neckpiece collection




















Amrita is the new-age woman who wears her mind on her sleeve. She knows what she needs to pick out for herself on a particular day. I am motivated to ask her some very obvious questions:





"Gold and turquoise threads entwined together make for an interesting piece"

Amrita, looking at your collection, I am tempted to ask, what would one find in your bag at any given point of time?
I am not much of a bag person, but, I always have a lip gloss, comb, tissues and sun glasses.

I for one know you travel a lot. Which place has been your best shopping experience?
Every city has it's own charming and secret alleyways that open up to enormous treasure troves.Off late I have also disvovered the joys of inexpensive window shopping. The exchange rate is also helping :) :). Every place I go, I pick up little souveniers and local attractions. London is a great place to shop. You get unbelievable bargains and very avante grade fashion. And who can say no to Bangkok!?! Shopping at Bangkok is non-stop, you just can't stop at one.

How well do you experiment with colors?
I love experimenting. One of my favorite styles is color-blocking. I prefer pastels but a flash of bright hue always adds zing.
 
Amrita carries several looks, depending on the occassion. Here are a couple of her avtaars.



Making summers really cool.


 



In traditional Navratri attire


 



The Nine-yard wonder

With great ease and finese, she transforms her cool soho look into the traditional sari. She is equally comfortable in western as well as indian wear as seen in her photographs.
 


Breaking the color monotony with lovely
Royal-blue slip-ons

Going Retro - In black&white Polka dots - With Parvez

A secret most well-known is that she is a huge ShahRukh Khan fan and considers him the style icon for the opposite sex. Among the women, she feels, Deepika, Sonam and Kangana have high style quotient.
 
 

Notice the interesting Elephant-shaped Mother of Pearl earrings

Hand-painted earrings
 
"Bangles&Bracelets are a must for me"

"I am a greedy shopper :)"
 
Vintage, Multi-colored earrings





Amrita signs off with some fun shopping mantras::
 
1. Always try before buying
2. Natural fabrics are the first choice
3. Go shopping on your own
4. As with secrets, reveal only what you want others to know
5. Do take help of mirrors

Amrita's latest Facebook status says, "Wise are those who carry their comfort zones everywhere". I think the status and the above picture say it all :). I hope you guys enjoyed this post as much as I did writing it. I have to admit I troubled Amrita a lot for the right photographs and clicks and she very patiently obliged. I guess that's another one of her hidden accessories :). Thank you Amrita for being a part of this blog, more so, for flagging off the "Her Style" section. You may learn more about Amrita's work and Purple Crayon advertising firm  here http://www.purplecrayonindia.com/
P.S. - If all goes well, Amrita will soon be featuring as "Guest editor" on my blog, and shall be covering the style elements of one of her personal favourite people. Keeping my fingers crossed for this one Amrita :)

 

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,

    You have captured Amrita just perfectly. I have known her for over 15 year now. When I first met her, I was in college and was totally in awe with her. Not only for her dressing style, but more to do with how down to earth she was . I have worked with her for over 9 years and can say I know her pretty well. I am glad someone did such a blog. Amrita always had a concern of how what to do with clothes, bags, accessories.. which she got bored of. I always used to tease her that she has SO MANY that each would get a turn only after a year...!! I am sure she can use this platform to put them across to others who are not so "creative in selection" themselves. And further she can also advice some fashion tips to those who can appreciate .

    Amrita, I am sure you will be loved as the Editor. I have refrained myself from commenting on the "socks choice", but I am sure those who know you will know what i mean ;)

    Wishing both of you luck

    Parul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Parul,
    Thank you for those beautiful words. Yes, Amrita knows her style and has the confidence to carry it off. I am surprised I was the first one to do a blog on her. Beginner's luck is mine now :). I am looking forward to her playing Guest editor too. Thank you for your wishes and do stop by "chai and couture" to know what's the latest in style and fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good going Janey. Am sure you and Amrita will rock. Besto Lucko.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amrita has always been our fashion guru on facebook. A lady with a smooth wit and effusive charm, she looks as comfortable n lovely in shorts and a tee or in a saree. Yes, she has her accessories right, right from her hat, sun glasses, bracelets and some awesome lipstick shades. You are right Amrita, faux pas only happens when you choose to wear jimmy choos on grubby feet. Keep the gyan coming lady. Between you and Jane, you rock Chai n Couture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sunny,
    You couldn't have expressed it more suitably and beautifully. Thank you for your good wishes for chai and couture :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey jane very well written and superbly presented. thanks so much.
    thankyou parul and suni :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks amrita. thank you for all the efforts and flagging this section off. The first time is always special :)

      Delete
  7. Now I know what you are doing buried in your laptop. Very proud of you. though you are busier than me now ;) Keep at it. You are doing a great job alongwith your designing. and why not "his style" too?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "her style" part is well written and covered. Kudos! Parvez n Amrita lookin good as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! happy to see u here. see i told u i was not buried in my laptop chatting...was always working :). u give me some nice pics of urs and i can feature u in his style ;)

      Delete
  9. The blog's colors and vibrancy make it alive. It was interesting to read aboout regualar normal people's fashion in her style. Looking forward to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you Kiran. I see you have subscribed to the blog through email. Keep reading and hope u enjoy chai and couture in future too :)

    ReplyDelete